Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tuesday, May 31st, 2011

A full and emotional day....

I began the day thinking of my family and that my 2nd mother, Maxine would be laid to rest today.  I am thankful for her life and the part she played in mine.  I am also thankful that she is now "whole" again and reunited with Virgil and her family...they are welcoming her home and celebrating her life, as we are! 

We began today with a tour of The Imperial War Museum Duxford, it was a remarkable place and to be honest, we could have spent two full days there! 

We then went to Wimpole Hall - a very beautiful and LARGE home built in the 1700's.  There was even a Chapel in the house and St Andrew's Church just outside the house.  Wimpole Hall served as the 323rd Squadron's bomb dispersal area in WWII. 

Enjoy the pictures...Tomorrow we will be heading back to London.  More to follow! 




B-17 Aircraft - Just like Uncle Jim would have flown in! 



This is the "Waist Gunner's" spot, this was Uncle Jim's area.  


The cockpit of the B-17 Aircraft!! 



We found Uncle Jim's name on the Roll of Honour for the US 8th Air Force who lost their lives in WWII.


The Honour Roll contains 26,000 names of US 8th Air Force members lost in WWII.


Wimpole Hall...didn't I tell you it was a LARGE home??


Keep watching...Thanks for supporting my family in my absence! 
Love,
Kerri & Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment